Skip to main content

New York 2017 - Day 3

Have I complained yet about the lack of free wifi at our hotel? Because that earned a big thumbs down. Tiny bathroom soaps, coffee-maker, HBO on demand, and free wifi: these are the standards that people expect from their hotels. I shouldn't really complain because the location was amazing and we paid on points, but $15 dollars a day for wifi - for realsies?  As a result, we started most mornings at either McDonald's or Starbucks to soak up that sweet, free wifi before starting each day (regarding the choice I'd always ask Sarah, "Where are we going: poor man's Starbucks or rich man's McDonalds?")

Once properly Interneted, we took a walk to East 34th and boarded the East River Ferry for a low-cost, no frills boat tour of the Brooklyn (and a smidge of Queens). In turn, we passed under the Williamsburg Bridge, the Manhattan Bridge, and the Brooklyn Bridge, all impressive, and enjoyed all the more for costing us a total of about six bucks. (Full disclosure: landmarks, architecture, and geography in general are things I'm very dumb about. I had to look up on Google Maps where we caught the ferry, and the names of all the bridges -- and even then Sarah's gonna have to break into my account and correct about five factual errors I've made after the fact.) We followed this with an even more cost-effective (free) cruise by the Statue of Liberty on the Staten Island Ferry. I'll admit than when Sarah pitched this trip to me, I imagined myself taking selfies while hanging of the Statue of Liberty's tiara, but knowing what I nightmare it is to get off the island, we were happy to float on by and not lose half a day to a closer look.
The Ferry took us back to Manhattan near the Financial District. We walked around, ate at Pret a Manger, and then when to Trinity Church, burial place of Alexander Hamilton. Sure, other people are buried there too, but other people don't have rap-musicals based upon their lives so whatevs to them. Actually Eliza and their oldest son is buried there as well. From there it was a short walk to the 9/11 Memorial. We did not visit the museum because, well, the memories are still pretty vivid. There's a fine line between enhancing your knowledge and just being ghoulish. We settled for walking around the exterior monuments, which were incredibly well done. They've left the huge, empty spaces where the base of the buildings were, and the walls have been turned into waterfalls. All along the edges outside, they have the engraved names of everyone who lost their lives, as well as the unit and ladder numbers of the teams of first responders. And as you'd expect, the names stretch on and on and on. It's haunting and it's a perfect tribute.

A little later, we went back to the apartment and got changed, then headed over to the Ed Sullivan Theatre for a taping of The Colbert Show. Sarah had used her magic internet skills and her determination to get us tickets, and (completely coincidentally) it was the best day possible because they tape two shows on the Thursday night. The wait to get in is loooooooooong. You're lined up outside for a while, and then you're sort of penned in once you get inside, and they take people in turns to the bathroom because you can't leave the theatre once the show starts... so I think it was about two hours of standing before you get your seats. But ultimately who cares because it was totally worth it. It was the best thing we did on the trip. After the warm-up comic (all crowd-work and super hilarious), Stephen Colbert came out and had a quick chat with the audience. He answered a few questions and gave us a run down of how the taping would go, and then the show was underway. 
It's really impressive how tightly run everything is. I think I always expected that the taping of a talk show would be a big, sloppy thing that gets trimmed down in the editing room. I expected two and a half hours of taping for a one-hour show. What we got was a two-hour taping for two one-hour shows, which included network promos. With the exception of one minute-long Morgan Freeman tangent and a thirty second do-over of a monologue joke, what they shot that day was exactly what you saw on air.
The guests were Morgan Freeman and Grace Gummer for the Thursday show, and Kathy Bates and Nathan Macintosh for the Friday show. And let me tell you, it's as surreal as you'd expect it to be to be in the same room with Morgan Freeman. He was a little scattered, but also funny and super-relaxed. I have a huge amount of respect for someone who excels in such a weird, artificial environment. You're having a chat with someone in a room full of strangers who have been amped-up by the production staff at every opportunity, there are cameras zooming and swiveling around you, and you're on a set dressed and lit to make it seem like it's midnight, but it's actually like four o'clock in the afternoon. To be at ease, and unaware of all the artificiality, and unselfconscious -- that's got to be tremendously hard. Morgan Freeman did it well; Kathy Bates did it very well. And Stephen Colbert was amazing. The monologues were brilliant and amazingly executed, and he gives a great interviews - he's totally engaged and amazingly quick on his feet.
Two fun surprises during the show. The last guest, Nathan Macintosh, was a Canadian comedian. Very, very funny. I'm sure his set is up on YouTube. Sarah had posted something on Facebook about the show before we went in, and on the way out she had a comment from a University friend saying, "My best friend Nathan is on this show this week - I hope you see him!" And then there was the surprise guest. All week, Colbert had been doing a PuberMe thing on social media, where he would make a big donation to Puerto Rico Relief every time a celebrity posted an awkward puberty photo of themselves.  We knew they'd be announcing the results of the campaign during the taping. The day before, Lin-Manuel Miranda had released a single in support of Puerto Rico relief. While we're in line, Sarah was like, "Wouldn't it be crazy if he came on to promote the single?" And then, holy shit, he actually did. Sarah, probably the only person in the audience who'd even conceived of that possibility, was the first one screaming - just hollering before he'd fully stepped on stage. And it was the perfect situation: we were in the same room, but didn't have to interact directly with him. Had we bumped into him on the street, the outcome would have involved cold chills, nervous shriek-laughing, throwing up, and/or running away. But we were just in the same room at a very safe distance, and that was the best possible scenario. It was like Sarah's reward: for all the hard-work and planning, for all the effort it took to make this amazing trip so full and so fun. This awesome gift came to her for free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.