Skip to main content

Celebrity Eclipse 2018 - Boarding

We had breakfast at the hotel and then went to Church nearby. Largely Spanish congregation, but we caught the English mass, which is good because the only Spanish I know is “Ay, ay, ay! No es bueno!”

Then it was back to the hotel to scoop up our bags and head out. Veronica, for whatever reason, fell in love with the smallest of our grey suitcases. She named it Buddy, and insisted that she alone would carry it. All well and good until we got to the ship and had to hand off all our bags to the porter. Tears were shed over her good friend Buddy, even though they’d only be separated for about two hours. Embarkation was an absolute breeze and we were on board before eleven. Having not been on a Celebrity ship for two years, I was excited to see what was new and what had changed. And I should have known better because the answer was: absolutely nothing! We were on board the Eclipse, but we’d already cruised on four other ships of the same class and by design they’re all basically the same. In the past, that familiarity was very comforting, but this was the first time I found myself hoping for something different.

There’s always a wait for the room, and Sarah was prepared for that. She’d packed swimsuits in her backpack, so after lunch we went for a quick, hella cold swim. (I think Sarah only got about calf-deep, and even that took half an hour.) The kids were happy though. After that, we got the announcement that the staterooms were ready, so we went to check ours out – and it was gigantic. On our last cruise, Sarah had made friends with a group who had booked a family verandah cabin. They’re only available to parties of at least 5, but you have to book them far in advance. Hence why we booked this cruise two years ago.


Where your average cabin is one main room plus bathroom, this room has two separate bedrooms and a huge common area. Sarah’s parents – whose extreme generosity made the whole cruise happen – had an adjoining room with no balcony. As we’re not monsters, we told them to consider our balcony theirs, and they did use it every so often.

We had dinner in the main dining room: waiter – Michael, assistant – Dave, sommelier – originally some guy I forget but he was replaced by Alwyn on day 3. All solid folks. Then the kids, who had been chomping at the bit about it all day, finally got to go to the Fun Factory. The adults had a coffee and wandered, and then we retrieved the kids and had them in bed just after nine.

Final notes about the day. Each evening, the stateroom attendant leaves a copy of Celebrity Today, which lists details about upcoming activities and ports and whatnot. The Day One version also had crew bios. Captains on Celebrity are always Greek, and this trip was no exception. Our Captain was Leonardos Palaiokrassas, or as Sarah called him, “The Greekest Greek Who Ever Did Greek.” (He turned out to be a funny, personable guy. The Cruise Director was Eddy Jenkins; also a great guy. But check out that taking-the-piss bio. Easily half the people I spoke to on board thought it was serious. “I hope that works out for him – he sounds like he's doing really well for himself!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I should add...

... that two people were instrumental in my joining Twitter. First, Isha . She sent out an article on it when the application was still brand new. (And I remember thinking, "Screw that noise. Like I need more online commitments.) Second was Rebecca . She joined up just a short while ago, claiming she hadn't met a bandwidth she didn't like . (And then she disappeared entirely from the internets .) It looked nice and pretty over there on her sidebar, and then I got a little jealous. The rest: history. And for those unobservant among you ( Jorge ), the Twitter feed is right there on my sidebar, replacing the old Radio 3 player that I loved, but that I think scared the bejezus out of a lot of people. Also, everyone should join Twitter. I'm needing some diversions , people.
Change Two: Drink More Water Such a simple thing, yet something I just can't seem to find the time to do. About the only water I drink in your average day is whatever sweat happens to trickle off my mustache. Hydration (so the smart people tell me) is a good thing. I'm less fatigued when I drink water. I'm less hungry when I drink water. I'm even less grumpy when I drink water. I promise you nothing especially impressive. Eight glass a day ain't gonna happen. I'm shooting for two on average; two trendy, metallic, not gonna bleed Bisphenol A into my system bottles of water. I know were off to a rip-roaring start, what with the list-making and the hydration, but I'll try to get crazier with future changes. Stuff like: go to work drunk more, and buy a pair of leather pants. For now, let me ease into it.

Discuss Amongst Yourselves - January 30th, 2006

In case you don’t read my comments (and if not, you’re nuts cause that’s where all the good stuff is), Courtney has just declared herself movie illiterate. So, if you had to recommend five essential movies that everyone should see, what would they be? Let me stress: only five. For those of you with break-the-rules tendencies (like--I dunno--just picking a name out of the air... Jorge ?), your comment gets chucked out. Give’r.